The David Klasnick and Robin Trellis Scholarship Fund
The Pittsburgh Hornets were the premier AAA hockey club for many years with the goal of developing the Athlete not only into a good hockey player, but one with character. Many of our players moved on to play at a higher level, from juniors, to collegiate, and to the NHL.
The Pittsburgh Hornets would not have had such success without the efforts of many, parents, coaches, friends, and former players.
Although many have contributed, we established the David Klasnick and Robin Trellis Scholarship Fund to honor two people who made a very significant contributions to the organization, but passed on much too early in life.
- Robin Trellis was a board member, hockey mom, and was the leader of the two AAA National Championship events hosted by the Hornets. The example she set for Nationals raised the bar throughout the country.
- David Klasnick was an original founder of the Pittsburgh Hornets, board member, hockey dad, and representative on the USA Hockey board. He devoted countless hours to giving back to the players and the organization in any way he could. He was a board member at MLHA for more than a decade (including President of the Organization), member of the USA Hockey Executive Board for many years, was a thought leader in the development of the American Development Model (ADM), helped develop the National Development Team, championed sled hockey program development, chaired the USA Hockey National Championships for more than a decade, and served as a member of the USA Hockey Executive team for Team USA at the Vancouver, Sochi, and Pyeongchang Olympic games.
As the Pittsburgh Hornets organization terminated its operations, the Hornets board voted to return the remaining funds back to where it all started, the Mt. Lebanon Hornets program, in the form of a scholarship fund. The following criteria will be used in awarding scholarships from the fund:
- Family Need – we all know playing hockey is expensive. Many families struggle to be able to have their child play.
- Current or Former Hornet Family Members – these funds would not be available without the hard work of Dave and Robin and the many other parents and players who devoted much time to this endeavor. Even if they play for another program, they should be given consideration.
- Building Character
- Award Independence – awards may not be given to anyone who is on the committee awarding the scholarships
This fund is now available. If you would like to apply or nominate someone, please reach out to Frank Gill or David Klasnick.